200-Meter Intervals with Triathlete Chris Legh
The 200-Meter Interval is one of the best ways to build speed for shorter races such as a 5k or 10k. Alternating between sprinting and resting allows your muscles to recover quickly, and the subsequent sprint can be performed at race speed. Your heart rate will remain elevated throughout the drill, which improves overall fitness and endurance.
- Run for 200 meters close to maximum pace (aim for 35 seconds)
- Walk for about 17 to 20 seconds, then begin accelerating into next run
- Continue performing 200-meter runs every minute, on the minute
- Sets/Reps: 2-8×4 200s with extra 30-second rests after each set
- Begin with two sets and gradually work up to eight as fitness allows
Source: Sports Nutrition Blog